Preparing for an Open Day
It’s handy to be prepared for an Open Day, there’s a lot to see and do all packed into one day – so get ready!
What is an Open Day?
An Open Day is an informative introduction to university for those who are thinking of applying.
WHAT HAPPENS AT AN OPEN DAY?
There are many things to see and do! Including:
- Campus tours
- Accommodation tours
- Course talks to learn more about specific subjects
- Q&A with lecturers
- Q&A with students
Why should my child go?
Whether they know what course they want to do, know what university they want to attend, or even if they’re completely undecided, attending an Open Day is the perfect opportunity to have both yours and their questions answered, which will help them to make a choice that is right for them, and to put your mind at ease.
They may find a certain course is taught differently at a certain university, they may discover that one university has different facilities to another, and attending an Open Day may swing it for them and firm up their decision to apply at all.
So all in all, attending one will help them with their decision, and help you to feel comfortable with your child attending.
There’s a lot to jam into the day! Download the info the uni has sent you, and have your QR codes. In addition to the course, we are looking for a good ‘vibe’ from the University our son attends. -Chris
Open Day Checklist
PLAN YOUR ROUTE
It’s always good to know where you’re going and how to get there
Check the university’s website with regards to parking, as it may be limited
CHECK THE WEATHER
You don’t want to get soaked or sunburned! Check that forecast!
PACK A SNACK AND DRINK
If you are in a rush, it’s good to be able to eat on the go
PLAN WHERE TO GET LUNCH
If you do have a spare half hour to kill, it’s good to know where the nearest food vendor is
PRINT AND TAKE A CAMPUS MAP
These will be provided on the day, but if you have one ahead of time you can mark where you want to go
PRINT OUT THE TALKS TIMETABLE
Again, these will be provided on the day, but knowing where you want to go before the day is a big help
PRINT OUT THE CAMPUS TOUR TIMETABLE
These run at different times throughout the day so it’s helpful to schedule this in
WRITE DOWN THE QUESTIONS YOU WANT ANSWERED
The day can go quickly! Take the time to think about what you want to know, so that you can come away from the Open Day knowing all your questions have been answered
What happens after Open Day?
It’s always a good idea to reflect after an Open Day. This will help your child decide which university feels right for them, and having that conversation with them may encourage them to think about where they would like to go. Check out our points for discussion below to help get you started!
POINTS FOR DISCUSSION
- Were you inspired by the talk given on your chosen subject?
- Do you like what the course has to offer?
- Did you find out if the course offers trips / a year in industry? Is this something you would be interested in?
- Did you feel at home at the university? What were your thoughts on the accommodation?
- What were your thoughts on the location of the university? Did you like that it was a city / campus university?
- Did you like the campus? Did it have the facilities you expected?
- Are there part time job opportunities available?
- Are you aware of the support services that the university provides?
- Are there any clubs or societies you would consider joining?
Book onto an Open Day
For more information, check out the University Guide to Open Days from Which?